[var] => content
[type] => preview
[var] => cut_url
SHANKAR S., Ph.D Tech
Adams Avenue, Apt. No. , Memphis, Tennessee , USA Phone:+ Email:
· · A profile with a perfect blend of technical acumen, business experience and international exposure. I have worked as a research fellow at the University of Turin, Italy, completed PhD from the esteemed Institute of Chemical Technology better known as UDCT Mumbai, India. I have worked in business development and technical projects for sixteen months in Famy Care Limited, Mumbai, India. Currently, I am a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, USA.
· · To apply the technical knowledge gained over the years for better execution of commercial strategic decisions. Contribute to the organizational growth by playing a key role in business development, licensing and market analytics.
· · ·
Post Doctoral Research Trainee Hamilton Eye Institute, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA Current Employer April till date Working on an innovative biodegradable polymeric nanoparticle formulation and its evaluation for age related macular degeneration ARMD. There is an unmet need in case of treatment options for ARMD. Responsible for assessment of pharmacokinetics, localization and safety of nanoparticles. Also gaining knowledge in the fields of glycobiology, glycan separation chemistry, developing a working knowledge of ophthalmological instrumentation like Electroretinogram, Optical coherence tomography, tonometer, slit eye microscope etc. Assistant Manager Business development and Technical projectsFAMY CARE LTD Nov Mar Year, months FAMY CARE LTD. is a pharmaceutical company specializing in Women healthcare with a product portfolio comprising of oral contraceptive pills, depot injectable preparations, tubal rings and contraceptive devices having tie ups with Mylan USA and Sandoz EU. Mainly an export based institutional selling driven company. Contributed to the internal R&D efforts of the company related to the NDDS pipeline identifying platforms, accessing technology, structuring relationships with partners. Contributed to the inlicensing of technology and products for the business. Defined the strategy and managed the execution assisted by a team of sourcing for the export business this includes identifying molecules, building a perspective on the business case, identifying suppliers, handling negotiations. Played a key part in value added engineering change of formulation to suit the market, change of pack for cost saving. Identification of NDDS technologies suitable for current projects through assessment of scientific publications, meeting professors in universities, research facilitators and Contract research organizations. Worked with cross functional teams. Understanding the country wise patent status of products and deciding the launch with the R and D team. In depth understanding of patent claims, Para IV filings and formula design. Patent searching and Analysis, Technology and Competitive analysis, Business Development & Investment Opportunity mapping. Regular monitoring of patent expiries and constraining patents before launch of products in a particular market.
· · · ·
Provided feedback on competitor clinical trials of the existing formulations, new formulations, new indications etc. Also constantly keeping abreast with the published research articles and conference proceedings to identify competitor activities. · Developed/implemented strategies/tactics to bring new business opportunities. · Identified new possible partnerships/alliances among Global Commercial Testing Labs. Primary contact and leadership in the process, coordinated timelines and delivery; Communicated with senior executive team on new products/programs/market trends. Lead strategy development/primary facilitator of organization communication, making business plans with a team and presenting the same to the management considering all aspects like technical, feasibility, CAPEX requirements, sales plan, COGS, EBITA and IRR. · Was Instrumental in bagging few tenders in ROW countries and a major project funding from Department of Scientific and Industrial researchIndia USD. Million. · Project management, setting time lines and plan of action to achieve those time lines and regular monitoring of various projects by designing and monitoring PERT charts, identification of bottle necks in projects and working towards resolving them. · Competitive intelligence provided full competition landscape analysis including strengths & weaknesses of competitors in portfolio and performance, keeping continuous track of new product launches and regulatory approvals. Hands on experience in competitive intelligence databases like Newport premium. · Market research and analytics, assessment of IMS data/ORG data of various countries/segments, played a key role in providing technical and costing analysis for mergers and acquisitions of new companies as an investment strategy. · Met KOL&;s during the course of new projects to get feedbacks and opinions and served instrumental in product development. · In depth understanding of the biocompatibility aspects, regulatory and clinical aspects of pharmaceuticals formulations and medical devices. · A perfect blend of research, marketing, regulatory, strategy, and business development skill setsthereby acting as an internal business and technical consultant Research AssistantDepartment of Macromolecular Chemistry and pharmaceutical Sciences University of Turin, ItalyIn collaboration with Ms. Sea Marconi Ltd.Italy From Nov Nov year · Developed patented platform technology of "Nanosponges" for delivery of anticancer drugs, peptides, other small molecules and proteins. Gained expertise in formulation and evaluation of these NDDS and performed cutting edge research with breakthrough thinking and extensive collaboration.
· · · · · · · · · A Novel medical device to be placed inside the body releasing drug for sustained periods of time. An implant product for sustained effect Microsphere based anticancer formulations as a business case Malaria based products as a business case and future product portfolio Vaginal formulations as a business case A copper based Intra uterine system Depot injectable based formulations Combination contraceptive kit Several New product ideas explored for preparation of elaborate technobusiness cases for the management
*Further details would be furnished if required.
Research experience until PhD
I. Masters in Pharmacy, Specialization: Drug Delivery Technology years. II. Ph. D. Tech., Specialization: Pharmaceutics . years. Apart from developing a deep knowledge based research aptitude following managerial skills sets were acquired: Project management and drafting of time lines, procurement of raw materials, negotiations with suppliers, regular presentation of the project progress, identification of bottle necks in projects, value addition of current systems based on the un met need and identifying the gap, documentation as per regulatory filing guidelines, meticulous approach in record keeping, mentoring juniors and guiding them on their projects, seminars, etc. Coordinating meetings with clients and technology seekers.
Successful industrial projects during Masters and Ph. D
· · · · · · · Successfully developed a Novel tablet formulation from MUPS for itraconazole. The product is commercialized years Solubilization of Cyclosporine in form of SMEDDS months. Solubilization of an anticancer NCE DRF , Sponsor: Dr. Reddy&;s laboratories, India months. Completed one month inplant training at Milan laboratories India Ltd. in the year . Invitro Bioequivalence studies of Cholestyrmine resin, Sponsor: Themis Medicare, India months. Assisted in controlled delivery system of Etodolac, Sponsor: Dr. Reddy&;s laboratories, India month. Particle coating of Choline Bitartarate and d, l Methionine months.
Successful academic research projects
· · · · · · · · · Synthesis and extensive characterization of hyperbranched polymer from Cyclodextrins called `nanosponges&;. Functionalization of nanosponges. Nanosponge Based Camptothecin Formulations: PhysicoChemical Characterization, Stability and Cytotoxicity. Permeable and potent drug delivery system of Acyclovir. Ocular nanosuspensions of dexamethasone by encapsulation in nanosponges. Swellable Nanosponge based Protein stabilization and release modulation. Targeting assessment of paclitaxel nanoparticles. Extensive polymer based knowledge and expertise gained during my doctoral research stint Studied over hydrophobic drugs extensively during screening of the technology.
· · · · PhD Technology in Pharmaceutics Institute of Chemical Technology formerly known as UDCT Masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences specialization in drug delivery technology Institute of Chemical Technology formerly known as UDCT Obtained First class with grade `A&; in the thesis. Bachelors of Pharmacy Mumbai University, Merit Rank holder Obtained First class with distinction Esteemed M. L. Khorana Merit award recipient. General Certificate course on Intellectual property Rights WIPOSwitzerlandObtained Grade `A&;
Publications Over Citations; hIndex:
· · · WO//; Oral Pharmaceutical Composition. /MUM/; Oral composition of a poorly soluble drug, Indian Patent applied, Shankar S., Pastero, L., Serpe, L., Trotta, F., Vavia, P.R, Aquilano, D., Trotta, M., Zara, G.P., Cavalli, R, Nanosponge Based Camptothecin Formulations: PhysicoChemical Characterization, Stability And Cytotoxicity, European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, pp. . .
S., S., Vavia, P.R, Cavalli, R., Trotta, F., Ferruti, P., Ranucci, E., Gerges, I., Manfredi, A., In vitro release modulation and conformational stabilization of a model protein using swellable polyamidoamine nanosponges of Cyclodextrin, Journal of Inclusion Phenomenon and Macrocyclic Chemistry, Volume , Numbers , . Shankar S., Vavia, P.R., Trotta, F., Torne, S.; Formulation of Itraconazole Nanosponges. Journal of Inclusion Phenomenon and Macrocyclic Chemistry, Volume , P , . Publications in communication stage, International conference proceedings, Indian conference proceedings
Academic achievements and honors
· · · · · · · · · · · Was selected for a collaborative exchange program with University of Turin, Italy for a period of one year funded by M/s Sea Marconi, Collegno, Italy. Nagai FoundationJapanSilver award for best research Jap Yen , in the fifth Asian cyclodextrin conference held in Busan, South Korea in May . Shri G. M. Abhayankar Research Presentation award from the Institute of Chemical technology. Travel grants from Government of India Dept. of Science and tech., India, Dept. of Biotechnology, India, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India. Best Research paper award in Indian Pharm. Congress, Mumbai, . Best student. The esteemed Prof. M.L. Khorana memorial award, for being a topper at Bombay University. Merit award from Indian Pharmaceutical association, for being a topper at the University Sir Ratan Tata Merit Scholarship for meritorious performance. Nominated for OPPI Young Scientist award. Scholarships and funding: University Grants Commission, India , TEQIP, World bank , M/s Sea Marconi, Borsa di studio, Italy, .
Extra Curricular activities
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · Currently completing competent communicator toastmaster manual at the Brain Builders Toastmasters club, Memphisauthorized by the Toast Masters Inc., California, USA. Represented Famycare Ltd. in National Level TATACrucible Business quiz and Bioquizitive . Have year experience in hospitality industry part timefamily owned Managed stocks/goods inventory, cash counter, turnover, managed a team of personnel and managers for smooth functioning and faster execution of orders Was instrumental in clocking a turnover of crore in the first year. Brand management of Famycare Ltd. in conferences, advertisements etc. Hosted Technical events like presentations and quizzes in Ph.D. HeadVolunteersOrganizing committee in Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, . Managed a crowd of over delegates with over volunteers under me. Integral part of CoreScientific services committee, Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, and . Has been a part of Blood donation campaigns and has been a donor too. Runner up of the debate competition held in UICT, Mumbai in the year . Winner of the Pharma quiz held in UICT, Mumbai in the year . Nominated by the college as "The Best student" for the Indian Pharmaceutical Association&;s best student award for the year . Had been a part of the winning cricket team in college for the years , , , . Runnerup in Table tennis singles, doubles and mixed doubles in college for the year . Spearheaded road leveling project in SVBCP, . Runnerup in Table tennis in IPA&;s Rx sports in the year . Represented ICT in table tennis in IPA in .
· · ·
Was seeded no. in college in Table tennis in the year . Had been a part of the winning cricket team in the year in IPA&;s Rx sports. Winner of relay race and bronze medalist in m running in Dombivli Olympics in the year . Fastest runner . Captain of school house for consecutive years.
· · · Date of birth th Aug, Languages known: English, Hindi, Italian, Marathi, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Gujarati Hobbies: An avid reader of motivational books, soft rock music, cricket, football, fitness freak, keeping track of various online competitions and participate in the same, acquiring knowledge of astonishing world facts and history of products/people/places etc.
Prof. P. R. Vavia, Professor of Pharmaceutics, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Tech., Institute of Chemical Technology Formerly known as UDCT, N.P. Marg, Matunga, Mumbai. Ph: + . Email id: Mr. Venkatesh Iyer, Director, Corporate Strategy, Famy Care Limited /, Veer Nariman Marg, Brady House, rd Floor, Fort, Mumbai India. Phone: + Email: Dr. Francesco Trotta, Assosiate Professor, Dip. Di. Chmica, Macromoleculare Gruppo, Università degli Studi di Torino, Italy. Ph: + Email id: Prof. David Lembo, Head, laboratory of Molecular Virology, San Luigi Gonzaga hospital, Regione Gonzole, Orbassano, Turin Italy. Ph: + Email id: