[var] => content
[type] => preview
[var] => cut_url
DENNIS H. P.
Budleigh Circle, LuthervilleTimonium, Maryland
Mobile: Home: Facsimile: EMail:
Mr. P. is a dynamic, creative & proactive senior executive with expert experience and thought leadership in financial, human resources and information technology management in the State and local government and education K schools and higher education industries. He possesses over years of government and private sector consulting experience. His background includes Federal, state and local government administration and management; public finance; capital and operating budgeting; human resources administration; governmental policy and program initiation, development, planning, analysis, and implementation; and public procurement and contracting.
For the past years, Mr. P. has served in a variety of positions involved with the sale and use of software and services to enhance public sector client&;s business processes, efficiency and productivity. His involvement includes the full acquisition spectrum: marketing and sales strategy, P&L responsibility, business plan development & measurement, prospecting, lead generation, capture management, public relations/lobbying firm acquisitions, thought leadership, drafting of bids/RFPs specs for clients, technical and price proposal preparation, red team proposal reviews/approvals, orals presentations, contract negotiations, sales presentations and project delivery and operations, including quality assurance, client relations and customer satisfaction. He is active with developing strategic and tactical partnerships and teaming arrangements for business partners and projects. He has served with clients on Executive Steering Committees to ensure ontime, onbudget project delivery and client satisfaction. With his public sector experience, he continues to develop and maintain customer relationships along with his thought leadership and involvement in various public sector organizations, associations, media and speaking venues.
P. & Associates, Inc. Baltimore, Maryland
Principal and CEO Present
Mr. P. provides senior level management consulting and advisory services to clients in the automation, information technology, budgeting, marketing, sales/business development, merger/acquisition, legislative policy, and human resources fields. His engagements include but are not limited to advising public sector clients on acquisition and implementation of technology solutions to enhance their business functions; sales/procurement/selection process of ERP vendor for Statewide project; ROI/TCO analysis of automating various functions for both commercial and government clients; costbenefit and management studies; executive compensation study for a large municipal government; assisting a company through a merger/acquisition process; assisting a large lobbying practice during a legislative session; and creating a c notforprofit corporation. He assisted several public sector clients in transitioning software implementation projects and consulting and advising clients towards successful project completions.
Empower Solutions, an Intelligroup Company Atlanta, Georgia
Client Services Executive Partner East
Mr. P. provided executive level management consulting services to clients on the East coast. The firm is an Enterprise Resource Planning ERP systems integration vendor with business partnerships with Oracle, Oracle/PeopleSoft Enterprise and SAP focused in public sector government and education. He functioned as a principal or partner level executive and was authorized to direct the successful project delivery and operations functions on each public sector or education project within his territory. He had active clients with a backlog of $M. He also had sales responsibility; maintaining a pipeline of about $M; was active in presales, client relationship building, orals development, coaching and presentation and proposal oversight and preparation. Almost % of his effort was focused on business development, sales, prospecting, lead generation, maintenance of SalesForce leads, capture management, technical & price proposal preparation, orals presentations, contract negotiations and closing the sale. He authored sales brochures, white papers and marketing literature. He had profit/loss responsibility for the East and carried a $M/year quota for the East of which he personally was responsible for booking $M/year. Clients included the Federal government, State governments, cities and counties, K school districts, Universities and colleges, and public utilities and special districts client list/references can be provided. He was successful in negotiating with GSA to add Empower to the Federal GSA IT Services and GWAC contracts and has used it successfully in having other nonFederal governments buy from it. He was the primary leaded in creating and incubating a SAP practice with the firm. Mr. P. actively worked the alliance partner channels to assist the partner&;s account executives with the sale of ERP software. He was responsible for winning over prequalifications for open contracts with public sector clients. He successfully negotiated a variety of teaming arrangements with other leading consultancies in addition to maintaining a large number of subcontractors qualified as MBEs, WBEs, tribal organizations and other disadvantaged vendors. He managed a sales and services delivery team of over people.
Crestone International Alpharetta, Georgia
Senior Vice President, Education & Government Practice
He was responsible for managing and directing this exclusive PeopleSoft Financials, HRMS and Student Administration implementation practice for Federal, State, and local governments, including K public schools and institutions of higher education. He was also responsible for outsourcing initiatives with many of these clients. The E&G practice produced about onethird of the revenue in / or roughly $M per year. Mr. P. predominately was involved in business development and driving government & education demand and sales, working with the Sales Executives and prospects. He deployed several public relations firms lobbyists to assist in business development and introductory sales calls and the CxO levels. He was responsible for adding Crestone to over prequalifications for open contracts. He negotiated an exclusive rightoffirstrefusal on teaming arrangements with Unisys, a major partner. He also worked the Oracle/PeopleSoft sales channel partnering on both software sales and implementation work. He prepared web content, marketing and sales collateral and white papers. He managed a cost of sales budget of about $.M. He actively performed executive oversight and quality assurance monitoring for all public sector clients. He managed a sales and delivery team of over consultants and sales executives.
Cedar Enterprise Solutions The Hunter Group, Inc. Baltimore, Maryland
General Manager & Senior Vice President, Public Sector
Mr. P. was responsible for managing and directing the growth of this practice for Federal, State and local governments, including K public schools. He was the first executive to take charge of growing a public sector presence vertical market at Hunter/Cedar and had P&L responsibility for ERP implementation/upgrade services, management consulting services and Oracle/PeopleSoft Public Services practices. He added a Public Sector Balanced Scorecard initiative that was very successful. He also led the effort to establish and incubate a very successful SAP Practice. During his + year tenure, he was responsible for growing the practice from $M in revenue the first year, to $M the second year, to $M the third year and to $M in the last year. This practice produced the most revenues each year of any other business units during this four year period. Relative to contract dollar value, he cumulatively was responsible for $M and departed Cedar with a $M backlog. He personally carried a $M/year sales quota. Mr. P. developed partnerships and alliances, worked the software sales channels, retained selectively lobbyists in over a dozen states to assist in client relations, and was actively marketing and selling at various events including trade shows, trade publications and public sector associations. He performed executive oversight and quality assurance monitoring for all public sector clients to ensure project success and reference ability. He successfully had Hunter/Cedar added to the IT Schedule of GSA. He managed a sales and delivery team of over employees, four Vice Presidents, a senior executive team of managers and sales executives.
American Management Systems, Inc. Fairfax, Virginia
Mr. P. was responsible for public sector marketing, business development, sales and project management activities relative to computerbased administrative systems. He conducted a comprehensive study to determine future needs for YK services, computerbased budgeting systems, and ERP or agencybased administrative systems budgeting, financial, procurement, HR, ecommerce, EDI, etc.. Mr. P. developed business development strategy and tactics and advised senior management of nearterm prospects for new systems implementations. He served as Project Manager for a subcontractor, Budgeting Technology, on a State project to implement a State budget preparation and financial management system. He served in an oversight role on a similar project for another State. He assisted in closing an ERP software and implementation project with a large school district.
Anne Arundel County MD Government Annapolis, Maryland
Chief Administrative and Financial Officer
Mr. P. exercised supervisory authority over the executive branch departments for this local government that employed , to serve , citizens. He directed the development and execution of the $B annual operating budget and $M capital program. He managed the budget and finance, personnel and pensions, law, legislative liaison, public information, information systems, and central services and purchasing administrative departments. In addition, Mr. P. coordinated administrative and financial functions with the school board, library system, and community college, and had line responsibility for the police, fire, prison, court, public works, transportation, and social services departments. He chaired numerous committees and served as CFO for the county&;s general obligation bond sales and refund issues. Mr. P. directed reorganization, reinvention, and privatizing efforts resulting in a % position reduction, abolition of three departments, and privatization of six entities. He also implemented reforms in employee health insurance saving $M.
STATE OF MARYLAND Annapolis, Maryland
Various Executive Level Appointed Positions
Mr. P. served the state for years in various capacities. During his years with the Department of Budget and Management, Mr. P. served in three positions.
As Deputy Secretary, he assisted the Governor and Budget Secretary with the annual development of both the operating and capital budgets. He was responsible for policy development and management of employees in the following divisions: budget analysis, personnel, capital budgeting, management analysis and audits, computer resource policy, fiscal planning/revenue estimates, administration, central collections, and public works administration. He interacted daily with the Governor, Board of Public Works, the Cabinet, ranking state legislators, committees, and the press regarding budget, personnel and management issues. He chaired the Executive Compensation Commission. Other responsibilities included speaking before various citizen and special interest groups, developing and presenting briefings, chairing task forces and steering committees, and testifying before congressional committees and federal agencies concerning policy issues affecting the states. He chaired the Executive Steering Committee for a new Statewide Financial Management Information System that included all financial, procurement and human resource functions implemented by KPMG. He appointed and had responsibility for the activities of the state&;s first Chief Information Officer CIO.
As State Budget Director, Mr. P. managed the formulation, monitoring, and execution of the annual operating budget totaling over $B and a workforce of , employees serving Maryland&;s population of .M. He made recommendations on issues affecting the operating and capital budgets, including the formulation of modeling scenarios and options/alternative solutions to management problems. Mr. P. participated in developing solutions to the savings and loan failures; financing sporting facilities, environmental initiatives, MedEvac helicopter, and lottery computer acquisitions; and authoring legislation affecting the state&;s finances, personnel and management. He served as project director for the Board of Public Works on the refinancing of a $M package of installed lease/purchase equipment for state agencies, saving over $M. He served on a Commission to revamp the State&;s Personnel laws, rules, and regulations.
As Assistant Secretary of Operations, Mr. P. developed fiscal, budgetary and personnel policy directives. He planned and implemented an automated budget formulation system and installed a network and provided recommendations on all state contracts for services and computer hardware, software, and applications. In addition, he supervised the fiscal planning unit responsible for economic forecasts, revenue estimating and state aid to the counties.
Mr. P.&;s other roles and responsibilities with the state included:
* Chairman, Procurement Advisory Council formulated omnibus state procurement regulations; directed activities of an interdepartmental working group comprised of over agency program executives, assistant attorneys general, administrators, and procurement officials.
* Assistant Secretary for Administration Department of Human Resources managed central administrative support functions for the DHR with a $M operating budget and , employees.
* Fiscal Research Director, Department of Fiscal Services directed the staff in the preparation of fiscal impact statements on legislation; conducted fiscal research on public policy issues and government operations and analyzed and effected adjustments to the Executive budget. He was responsible for omnibus legislation that restructured information technology statewide including data center consolidations, governance structure and IT procurement laws.
* The Orkand Corporation, Silver Spring, MD Management & Technology Consultant
* Science Management Corporation, Washington, DC Program Director, Technology
* KMS Industries, Inc./NASA, Greenbelt, MD Systems Analyst
* Vitro Laboratories, Inc., Silver Spring, MD Project Manager/Systems Analyst
* Bendix Field Engineering Corporation/NASA, Greenbelt, MD Staff Specialist
* U.S. Navy/CommanderinChief, U.S. Pacific Fleet, Pearl Harbor, HI Admiral&;s Writer
Education & Training
* Cedar, Keswick, England
* Executive Training & Team Building Program
* Harvard, Kennedy School of Government, Boston, MA
* Executive Education Program for Senior Executives in State & Local Governments
* American University, Washington, DC
* Master of Science in Technology Management
* American University, Washington, DC
* Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
* University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii
* Business Administration & Technology Courses
* Bullis Preparatory School, Potomac, Maryland
* Computer Skills: Highly proficient with PCs and Microsoft Office Suite Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Publisher, Outlook, etc.
Certifications & Affiliations
* Certified Data Processor CDP Certificate, Data Processing Management Association
Mr. P. is a member affiliate of the following organizations:
* National Association of State Budget Officers NASBO, Life Member, Executive Committee Member & Former Chairman, Standing Committee on Data Management & Automation
* National Governors Association NGA, Corporate Fellow
* National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers & Treasurers NASACT and former NASBO Liaison to NASACT
* National Association of State Chief Information Officers NASCIO, Corporate Leadership Council
* National Association of State Personnel Executives NASPE, Corporate Advisor
* National Association of State Procurement Officials NASPO
* Government Finance Officers Association GFOA
* National Electronic Commerce Coordinating Council NECCC
* Data Processing Management Association DPMA
* American Society of Public Administrators ASPA
* National Conference of State Legislatures NCSL
* National Association of Counties NACO
* National Association of County Administrators NACA
Mr. P. has spoken at conferences and events, offered testimony to committees and councils, and actively participated on national and regional conference panels as a public sector thought leader. He has been active with, been quoted in and authored articles appearing in Government Technology magazine, CIO magazine, Governing magazine, etc. Some of his presentations and articles include but are not limited to:
* Managing ERP Risk & Uncertainty
* Ten Insider Secrets to ERP Selection & Implementation
* Strategies for Choosing an ERP Solution for Mid to Small Public Sector Organizations
* Public Sector Use of ERP in a Tough Economy
* Best Practices for Public Sector ERP Financial Implementations
* Best Practices for Public Sector ERP Human Resources Implementations
* Best Practices for Public Sector ERP Procurement/Supply Chain Implementations
* Streamlining Public Sector Business with ERP Solutions
* Implementing Public Sector ERP: Lessons Learned & Key Take AWays for Potential Clients
* ERP Though Leadership in Public Sector
* Estimating & Achieving ROI on ERP Investments in Public Sector
* Accelerating a Public Sector ERP Implementation
* Building ERP Task Forces in Public Sector
* ERP Workflow in Government
* ERPBased Business Process Reengineering in Government Organizations
* The Importance of Organizational Change Management in Public Sector
* ERPBased Workforce Planning Tools in Public Sector
* Balanced Scorecard in Government
In addition, he has authored numerous documents and publications as well as state laws and regulations in Maryland including:
* Omnibus State Procurement Law
* Code of Maryland Regulations COMAR Title State Procurement Regulations
* Computer Software Audit Standards
* Creation of the Baltimore Metropolitan Council
* Financial/HR/Administrative Policies and Procedures manuals