• Indian Biodiversity Portal ‐ involved in building spatial data base curation team & created an
exhaustive online database of biodiversity in the country.
• Coordinated Dairy‐GIS project of NDDB Anand, Gujarat, to develop a village level database for
around districts across the country using Census Village maps and annotated with
PCA and Amenities data.
• Developed spatial database for India at district, tahsil & village level integrating the
information procured from various sources such as, SOI’s administrative boundaries of
districts & taluka, Digital Chart of the World, Gtopo, SRTM, ASTER, LULCNRSC, Forest
Survey of India, Wasteland Atlas, Watershed Atlas, Census , etc. This database is useful
for prioritizing the areas districts/regions/basins etc. for the implementation of various
• Developed a comprehensive GIS database on Natural Resources for villages across the
Gori, Darma and Kuti river basin situated in Western Himalaya of Uttarakhand state using
GPS & SOI maps.
• Coordinated Mapping of Protected Areas Van Panchayats, Reserve Forest, National Parks and
Sanctuaries in the Cold Desert region of Western Himalaya Pithoragarh, Bageshwar,
Chamoli, Rudraprayg, Tehri Garhwal and Uttarkashi districts, of Uttarakhand state, through
an extensive field survey using topographical maps of Survey of India on a scale of
:,/:,, village cadastral maps, forest department maps and GPS. Around villages
had been mapped during the exercise.
• Mapped the community protected areas in FES project watersheds using GPS & SOI maps.
There is no such geo‐spatial information of community protected areas available in India so far.
Institute of Rural Management IRMA, Anand, Gujarat, India Nov ‐ Jan
• Research project on deforestation in the Himalayas funded by the National Science
Foundation of the USA.
• Fieldwork for database creation, involving field mapping on the topographical sheets
of the Survey of India on a scale of :, as well as on the village cadastral maps of
State Revenue Department, using compass, altimeter, and a GPS.
• High‐quality scans of maps, geo‐registration and on‐screen digitizing of various layers.
• Import of IRS‐C and D multispectral images, creating signatures for different land
use types, digital supervised classification and accuracy assessment.
• Manual interpretation of m high‐resolution Ikonos and recently declassified Corona
• Building an extensive database of drainage, contour, road, administrative boundary,
and other layers, which integrates field and map data with survey and Census data.
• Production of high‐quality hard‐copy maps in Arc/info . and ArcView.