[var] => content
[type] => preview
[var] => cut_url
To whom it may concern,
I am writing to apply for the position of Research Assistant.
This coming May I will be graduating with a degree in PhilosophyNeurosciencePsychology from Washington University. In pursuit of this degree I followed a very science oriented course, taking multiple chemistry, biology and even biomedical engineering courses. Starting my freshman year I was hired at Washington University Medical School&;s Anesthesiology Research Unit as a lab assistant. Over the course of the year I performed routine laboratory duties, such as preparing solutions and growing bacteria. Additionally over the summer I was asked to stay on and conduct my own research project. During this time I gained extensive experience with molecular biology, and chemical laboratory techniques such as; PCR, protein synthesis, radioactive binding assays, and the running and processing of NMR samples. Although my project ultimately had null results it provided me with the basis for continued research.
Since my research in the Anesthesiology Unit, I have been involved in psychology research with Dr. Todd Braver, Adam Savine, and Jordan Livingston in the Cognitive Control and Psychopathology Laboratory at Washington University. Through this position I have gained valuable experience in running both behavioral and fMRI experiments, entering data, data manipulation and statistical testing, as well as with participant scheduling on experimentrix. I currently am involved with a study involving self and other oriented motivation. During this time I additionally have been working for the Systems department at Washington University&;s Olin Library, where I service the computers around campus, install new software, and troubleshoot problem computers. Additionally, with my free time I have been learning matlab and python programming.
In my personal time as a member of my fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon, I was elected to the positions of social chairman, and internal events chairman, in addition to serving as the construction manager for our thirteen carnival efforts. I have played on the Washington University Drum line for years, and am an active participant in intermural sports.
I feel that my extensive research experience, as well as my dedication and leadership skills, make me a qualified candidate for the position of Research Assistant. Further details of my above experience can be found in my resume. I ask that you please consider my application materials and grant me the chance for an interview. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Washington University in St. Louis, Candidate for Bachelor of Arts, May ,
Major: Philosophy, Neuroscience, Psychology PNP
Washington University In St. Louis School of Medicine
Anesthesiology Lab Assistant
* Prepared solutions and arose plates for experimentation.
* Synthesized and isolated proteins for NMR research
* Documented, reviewed and prepared experimental findings for weekly reports.
* Identified inventory needs and researched competitors to find the lowest prices.
* Concentration testing with gas chromatography
Washington University Cognitive Control and Psychopathology laboratory
Undergraduate Lab Assistant
* Administered behavioral Experiments
* Performed data entry, and analysis
* Conducted fMRI experiments
Washington University Olin Library
* Preform computer maintenance and troubleshooting
* Install new software
* Coordinated set up and instillation of new computers
Tau Kappa Epsilon TKE Washington University in St. Louis
* Coordinated all construction aspects of Tau Kappa Epsilon&;s efforts to erect a &; by &; wooden structure costing over $,.
* Supervised and instructed team members to ensure that our building adhered to structural and fire code requirements.
* Crafted, submitted, and implemented the electrical plan for lighting and sound.
* Operated and instructed others on the proper use of power tools, including; jigsaws, routers, drills, and impact drivers
Tau Kappa Epsilon TKE
Internal Events Chairman, Social Chairman
* Budgeted, oversaw, and executed all aspects of an out of town fraternity formal in Springfield, IL costing over $,.
* Crafted and implemented risk management workshops, to minimize liability at fraternity functions and adhere to university guidelines.
* Recipient of Top TEKE award, for exceptional work as Social Chairman.
Encouncil Washington University in St. Louis
* Programed social events, which engaged over students and faculty for Enweek, the national pride week for engineering schools.
* Spearheaded publicity efforts by assembling a foot tall wooden E, advertising the events of the week.
* Radioactivity Training
* Human Subjects Training
* Microsoft Office and Mac iLife proficient
* Eagle Scout
* Chemical, and general Laboratory Safety Training
* SPSS Knowledge
* SPM preprocessing knowledge
Relevant Course Work
* Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Biology, Principles of the Nervous system, Physics
* Calculus III, Statistics
* Psychology Statistics, Experimental Psychology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to cognitive Science, Inquire in Cognitive Science, Behavior modification and Selfmanagement, Cognitive Neuroscience, Cognitive Psychology, Memory and Trauma
* Argumentation, Historic Philosophy Descartes to Kant, Philosophy of mind
Dr. Timothy Pluard
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Washington University
Olin Library Washington University
User Services coordinator
Cognitive control and Psychopathology Lab
Anesthesiology Research Unit Washington University
Senior Research Technician
Owner of Moes Onsite catering