Office of Regulations and Compliance
Health Canada, Ontario, Canada
• Participated in the coordinative management of national compliance and
datagathering programs, including inspection, investigation, data analysis
and enforcement activities in the area of tobacco, to ensure that OTC
policies, guidelines and procedures are being followed for maximum
efficiency, effectiveness and uniformity.
• Assessed several simultaneous enforcement programs under the Tobacco Act
to regulate the promotion, packaging and sale of tobacco products.
• Participated in the development and implementation of training programs
• Participated in the annual Directorate operational work planning
exercises, to ensure operational feasibility of the inspection, analytical
and enforcement procedures and achieve operational goals within Branch
objectives; prepared presentations for the Director, Regional Managers and Regional
Specialists on changes to tobacco products and packages contravening sections of the Act,
for further investigation.
• Provided expert advice to Directorate management on a variety of problems
related to management of field inspection operations and field laboratory
• Prepared briefing notes for the ADM, DM and Minister, to advise them on emerging
tobacco control issues and on occurrences which might affect the implementation of
corrective measures, on the role of compliance of the tobacco program with methods used
for increasing compliance and the results achieved.
• Prepared ministerial correspondence answering questions regarding issues, compliance and
enforcement of the Tobacco Act and tobacco products.
Acting Supervisor December to May
Intellectual Property Office
Industry Canada, Quebec, Canada
• Lead, directed and supervised the work of sixteen Trademarks Examiners, planning and
assigning work, providing technical guidance, reviewing work during performance or
upon completion, evaluating performance and overseeing the training of staff.
• Interpreted the Trademarks Act and regulations, Canadian Intellectual Property Office
policies, directives and guidelines and significant court decisions and Trademark
Opposition Board decisions and provided advice and counsel to Trademarks examination
staff, applicants, trademarks agents and lawyers.
• Communicated with individual applicants, trademark agents and lawyers to ensure that
decisions of the office are understood and that the appropriate level of service has been
provided. Mediated conflict situations between Examination staff and applicants or their
• Represented the Registrar and the Trademarks Branch on various governmental and non
governmental committees, such as those of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
IPIC to discuss interpretations of the Trademarks Act and Regulations and examination