[var] => content
[type] => preview
[var] => cut_url
Michael L. L. III, Esq. PRIVATE
White Peak Drive
Colorado Springs, Colorado
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
* Bachelor of Arts in Sociology: June , University of California at Riverside
* Juris Doctor: May , Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
* Licensed to practice law in the State of Kansas: issued September
* Licensed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court: issued May,
July to present: Research Assistant, William Muhr, LLP, Colorado Springs, Colorado:
Conduct research and draft memos to partners on various issues and law, appellate briefs, pleadings and motions in district, appellate and supreme courts, as member of litigation and appellate support team, while working within strict time constraints and with little supervision; file and serve documents electronically with district and appellate courts; and, maintain open communication with paralegals and other attorneys in the firm and opposing counsel.
September, : Temporary Document Reviewer, HireCounsel via Ballard Spahr, LLP,
Assist in contract document review project, consisting of over , electronic documents, emails, and related correspondence, in half the time originally assigned, for corporate client, as part of a major SEC investigation into alleged insider trading and sudden stock surge.
October to August : Assistant County Attorney, Seward County, Kansas
Prosecuted misdemeanor and felony adult cases from initial charging stage to completion, whether by simple or extensive plea negations, bench or jury trial, including DUI and traffic offenses; served as lead attorney in jury trials in month tenure; and, conducted research in order to file various motions and pleadings.
July to September : Senior Executive Recruiter, The Woodmoor Group
Successfully placed professional and executive candidates into positions with Fortune companies after a thorough screening and interview process, while working within specific search assignments, with attention to the candidate and the client.
July to June : Case Law Editor, LexisNexis
Created case law summaries, in a virtual/homebased environment, extrapolating the relevant facts, rules of law, and holdings from appellate and Supreme Court opinions found in the LEXIS database, while providing impeccable attention to detail and organization within strict time and guideline restraints, while meeting individual production and quality goals.
Experienced with all facets of the LEXIS database, including both Case Law Enhancements and Shepard&;s products.
February to June : Assistant County Attorney, Harvey County, Kansas
Prosecuted juvenile, misdemeanor, and felony cases from initial charging stage to completion, including a jury trial within the first week of my tenure, in order to assist that office in its change of leadership; also engaged in simple to extensive plea negotiations in lieu of trial, with a conviction rate of %.
June to February : Assistant County Attorney, Barton County, Kansas
Prosecuted misdemeanor and nonperson felony cases, from initial charging stage to completion, involving simple to extensive plea negotiations or jury trial, with an emphasis in felony drug possession, distribution, and manufacture, with a conviction rate of %.
Acted as lead attorney and successfully argued major methamphetamine manufacture prosecutions after jury trial, obtaining convictions and prison sentences in each.
January to May : Private Practice, Emporia, Kansas
Practiced family, criminal, juvenile, and Workers&; Compensation cases, drafting litigation documents, especially contracts, plea agreements, and settlement agreements.
Obtained an acquittal in first ever felony jury trial.
* Communication: completely fluent in Spanish; act as liaison between different personality types; comfortable communicating with both superiors and staff, orally and in writing; proficient in all MS Office, ProLaw, LexisNexis File & Serve, and Adobe products and programs.
* Leadership: background in Sociology provides wide range of interpersonal skills to encourage and instruct others, possession of a cando results oriented attitude.
* Responsibility: accustomed to being under time constraints and deadlines; take the initiative; work to accomplish goals; a selfstarter who consistently strives to produce quality with little or no supervision.
* Organization: use time and resources effectively; consider efficiency, planning and accountability extremely important.
COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS and COMMITTEE WORK
* Chair of the Colorado Springs LexisNexis CLE Hub visit Social Committee
* Coliaison for the LexisNexis CLE Cares Committee: to present
* Classroom volunteer Grace Best Elementary School:
* Member of the LexisNexis SEAL Committee: to present
* Mentor/Attorney Advisor for Colorado Springs Teen Court: to present
* Founding Board Member and President of the Barton County Advisory Committee on Minority Affairs:
* Member of the Barton County LEAD Project:
* PastPresident and Chair of the Board of the Central Kansas CASA:
* Member, Knights of Columbus to present
* Volunteer, Denver Project Homeless Connect:
* Mentor, Big Brothers/Big Sisters:
* Onsite activities provider for Wheatridge Care Center Senior Assisted Living Facility: