[var] => content
[type] => preview
[var] => cut_url
GENERAL MANAGER, PLANT MANAGER
General Manager who leads teams to greater bottom line profits and more satisfied customers. Develops people, optimizes equipment and simplifies systems to maximize throughput, eliminate downtime and expand the quality of products offered. Leader of engineered solutions that eliminate bottle necks and correctly install new equipment. Trains people to perform their duties effectively and operate equipment correctly. Hands on troubleshooter who likes to think outside the box with international business experience. Expertise and experience includes:
• Successfully turning three operations to into profitable businesses
• Strategically executed improvement plans that resulted in quality and capacity improvements
• Successfully project managed multiple equipment and system designs, layouts and installations
• Reduced customer complaints and lead times by significant margins
• Developed people, including three subsequent plant managers
• Enabled employee buyin to process improvements that simplified and systemized them effectively
• Enjoyed building business and financial models that included those for purchasing existing and establishing new ventures
• Solid metallurgical and engineering knowledge and how these affect processes
• Comfortable discussing very highlevel technical issues in a research and development environment or describing basic operations to new unskilled employees
• Implemented successful safety programs
• Comfortable with computer systems; extensive past programming experience
• Experience operating facilities in three countries, within different cultures and in multi lingual environments including using translators
• Fluent in English and Afrikaans GermanDutchFrench local dialect
PRECOAT METALS, Birmingham, AL, –
• Full P&L responsibility for monthold coiltocoil, metal strip paint line and slitter facility that was transformed into profitable and dependable operation despite dramatic drop in sales volume.
• Reduced downtime by %, increased plant capability in width %, thickness %, line speed %.
• Facilitated bringing line to appliance quality level, establishing effective preventative maintenance procedures and developing reliable shipping and receiving procedures.
• Created environment for shift stability and crew identity through implementation of simplified operating procedures
• Established inventory control systems for large paint inventory several million dollars and multiple other inventory and maintenance spares systems.
• Project managed equipment upgrades including fabrication of new equipment, stands and weldments in various tanks and extensive piping systems.
• Completely rebuilt and reinstalled slitter raising it to a quality level able to handle surface critical applications.
• Established predictable scheduling in production and enabled sales to make realistic delivery promises.
• Created safe work environment and reduced OSHA incidents through guarding, training and operator buyin.
Volume dropped dramatically as % of production was construction related.
BAYCOAT, Hamilton, ON, Canada –
• Operational responsibility for three coiltocoil, metal strip paint lines, slitter, shipping and receiving.
• Installed and commissioned final phase of largest line upgrade.
• Designed and fabricated new equipment to trim scrap offline that increased line throughput.
• Project managed complex control changes to allow equipment to function beyond original capabilities.
• Implemented changes in scheduling to effect faster turnaround of product.
• Completed tank and oven weldment repairs.
Left to take opportunity to move back to USA.
AH F. CONSULTING LLC, Warren, OH –
President and owner
• Developed business plan and partners to purchase and build a Greenfield coiltocoil, metal strip paint line.
• Developed financial budget and projections, established supplier agreements and pricing, obtained EPA approval, established state tax rebates and their assistance in location of new facility, developed complete line specification and obtained detailed quotes and project goals.
• Parttime management consulting to noncompetitive paint line.
Project was at the point of bank loan approval when competitor purchased the largest customer.
QUALITY EDGE, Grand Rapids, MI,
Project Manager and Plant Manager
• Developed business plan for new coiltocoil, metal strip paint line for captive residential trim facility.
• Established line design specifications, developed financial projections and obtained quotes and presented plan to owner.
Owner found profit margins were not what he had been promised by consultant and sold the parent company months later.
ROLLCOATER, Weirton, WV, –
Plant Superintendant Plant Manager
• Full P&L responsibility for coiltocoil, metal strip paint line and slitting facility and transformed facility into highly profitable operation.
• Established employee confidence in management and got buyin to the vision that enabled transformation into an efficient and profitable operation.
• Maintenance downtime reduced by %, line speed increased by ft/min and quality improved across the board.
• Established effective shipping and receiving practices, and redirected product flow within restriction of a ft long machine to dramatically reduce labor and time requirements for packaging and shipping.
• Fabricated multiple pieces of equipment and eliminated processes to simplify and ensure plant was more flexible and efficient.
• Transformed safety record from worst in plants to a year incident free record by gaining employee buy into the safety program.
• Eliminated wasteful practices that led to reduction of lead times by an average of weeks.
Left with several other senior managers due to unacceptable new noncompete agreement.
ADS MACHINERY CORP, Warren, OH, –
• Project managed and sold custom designed equipment and upgrades for coiltocoil, metal strip processing equipment.
• Project managed and responsible for design, welding, fabrication and machining, installation and commissioning of large pieces of machinery that formed part of continuous processing equipment
• Responsible for electrical I/O descriptions, application layouts and detailed design.
• Had multiple engineering direct reports.
Opportunity to move back into operations and manufacturing
DORBYL GROUP PTY LTD., Isando, Gauteng, South Africa –
Plant Manager Coil coating, Building Products Division, Isando, Gauteng, South Africa –
• Full P&L responsibility for turning coiltocoil, metal strip painting facility around.
• Transformed old, poorly run line into a major local competitor and significant contributor to group profits.
• Reduced downtime from days a week to less than ½ hour per month and increased line speed by %,
• Reduced lead times from to weeks down to to hours, established complete new inventory control system that reduced paint inventory by % and eliminated redundant paints.
• Enabled major customer to reduce inventory from $m to under $m while increasing their sales volumes and reducing lead times dramatically through complete overhaul of operating philosophies.
• Designed, fabricated and welded significant replacement parts of the line and project managed complete new electric system on line.
Emigrated from South Africa due to high violent crime.
Group Technical Services Manager, Steel Service Center Division, Isando, Gauteng,
South Africa –
• Led technical department and metallurgical laboratory responsible for branches.
• Responsible for material specifications, material specification comparisons and general metallurgical trouble shooting across every industry where steel is used from stampings including automotive skins, forgings, fabrications both heavy and light, assembly plants including auto plants, ship building, oil platforms etc.
• Responsible for solving all metallurgical problems from welding to corrosion to forming etc.
Technical Services Manager, Steel Service Center Division, Durban, Natal,
South Africa –
• Managed branch level quality including ISO and receiving department.
• Reduced reject inventory to less than % of starting volume and implemented procedure to prevent reoccurrences.
Foundry Metallurgist, Heavy Engineering Division, Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng,
• Involved in submerged arc welding of thick walled pressure vessels and heavy wall pipes.
• Developed casting models using FEM and refined casting practices for castings ranging from lbs to tons.
• Commissioned first vertical spin castor ingroup lb to ,lb castings.
• Eliminated hydrogen cracking problems through process changes that reduced failures and reworks by %.
MSc Eng Master of Science in Engineering Metallurgical and Material Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
• Research Masters focused on alloy development aimed at finding alternative welding alloys for hard facing applications using vanadium carbide in iron based substrates.
• Experience using complex electronic equipment such as Scanning Electron Microscopes SEM and EDAX, Transmission Electron Microscopes TEM, Xray diffraction, Mossbäuer spectroscopy, hardness and microhardness.
• Developed and body abrasion wear testing rigs that dramatically improved results over those obtained using ASTM methods.
BSc Eng Bachelor of Science in Engineering Metallurgical and Material Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Management development course, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa week residential
Dorbyl management development course, University of Durban Westville, Uvongo, South Africa week residential
Metallographic investigation of FeVC alloys, Electronmicroscopy society of Southern Africa Conference Speaker, Cape Town South Africa
FeVC alloys for abrasion wear resistance, Tribology Conference Speaker, Pretoria, South Africa
Investigation of the phases present in FeVC alloys by various techniques, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Investigation of the phases present in FeVC alloys by Mossbäuer spectroscopy and Xray diffraction, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, B North Holland
Baldwin Steel Division going for Gold awards Gold Chairman’s Award
Baldwin Steel Division going for Gold awards Bronze, Silver and Gold Category Innovation
Dorbyl Group Bursar of the Year Award